Monday

New maker: Nicola Hanrahan

I hope you don't judge me, but one of my favourite things to do this time of year is to make a cuppa (milk, with one), get some biscuits (a whole packet, let's be honest!), a dvd and my pjs and be all cosy with the heating on, I love a biscuit love-in!  One of our new makers Nicola Hanrahan must, it seems have a biscuit+bird obsession... 


'Hi I'm Nicola, and I'm an illustrator and surface pattern designer from Leeds. I realised my love of illustration and how it could be applied to printed textiles while studying Printed Textiles & Surface Pattern Design at Leeds College of Art. I graduated in 2009, and since then I have been designing new patterns and getting them digitally printed onto fabric. I make cushions, purses and other crafty bits and bobs from the fabric, along with designing cards featuring my illustrations.



Wildlife and the British countryside are my main source of inspiration, particularly flowers and garden birds. I like to create a naturalistic yet quirky feel with my work, by drawing animals and birds with tea sets, sweets and treats! Going for walks and playing in my Mum and Granny's gardens were a key part of my childhood. They were full of life and character, and particularly as a child they always seemed magical and exciting. This, combined with the children's books I used to read (particularly Beatrix Potter and Molly Brett, who created gorgeous stories accompanied with adorable illustrations), are what started off my love of nature and illustration!




Along with my designs reflecting beautiful British nature, I source all of my materials from the UK and as locally as I can. My dream is to devote all my time to illustrating, designing patterns, and making things to sell from the patterned fabric (whilst having a menagerie of animals to look after, including a pond with ducks and a donkey in the yard!).'
See her at our next event...Dec 1st Leeds Corn Exchange.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, just found your fab blog, your work looks fantastic, you have a new fan

    ReplyDelete