Wednesday

A quick Q&A with Sophie from 'Imogen's Imagination'...your new favourite lady!


Reetsweet: Sophie, how did Imogen's Imagination start out?

Imogen's Imagination is the result of desire...albeit my desire to have a new hat to wear to every burlesque night I attended and not having the funds to do so! I started the label in 2005 and within weeks I was stocking the alternative shop Ultravixen (coincidentally the founder of Peek-a-boo, the first burlesque night in Sheffield). I was also privileged to be featured in Total Tattoo Magazine as part of an Ultravixen fashion spread with the delightful Kitten von Mew as the resident pin-up. In September 2008 I re-launched Imogen's Imagination with vigour and now present to you the much expanded business you now see. Whilst the original ideas originated with burlesque roots, it now aims to offer bespoke headwear to meet a much broader client base and to suit all occasions. Imogen’s Imagination has now developed into a brand which provides everything from smaller hair accessories to a brand new collection of hand blocked vintage style hats which are totally on trend for Autumn/Winter 2010.

How do you continue to be inspired?

Inspiration is vital for fuelling imagination and I find it in many guises. Be it vintage millinery, current fashion trends, the glitz of burlesque or something as simple as finding a new flower from a supplier, these references all influence my designs. I love anything that can be worn at a jaunty angle thus filling the wearer with increased inner confidence and a sense of downright gorgeousness. Sometimes though, the inspiration is the client. When Katy of Serendipity Photography commissioned her red felt trilby for her personal photography project, it seemed natural to source a strawberry print lining to compliment her red strawberry logo. The lining fabric was provided by Sarah Waterhouse a Sheffield based designer who prints her designs by hand and Katy was thrilled with the results. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=434224&id=215477190200&page=2 My inspiration for the Autumn/Winter 2010 collection was very simply the things I love in the world most apart from anything sparkly…animal print, fur and 50’s themes. Luckily these were also the key themes which ran throughout the international fashion shows earlier in the year. I have taken these elements and given them my own very wearable, desirable and down right strokable twist. If youd like a sneaky peek, you can find them here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=495962&id=83326905523 http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=495313&id=83326905523

How did you get involved with Reetsweet?

My involvement with Reetsweet came about by a chance meeting with Rebecca at the Marvellous Tea Dance at the Faversham earlier in the year. I was very honoured to be invited as a stallholder at the next Reetsweet event and I’m really looking forward to it!

Reetsweet would like to thank Sophie for her interview....you can see Sophie's work at the fair in the corn exchange on Nov 7th
11am-4pm!












No comments:

Post a Comment